Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Purpose of Everything (Pertaining to This Blog)

I never really kept a blog before, so it feels strange that the first time I venture into the bounds of this realm of cyberspace it is a mandatory portion of a college course. This is not to imply that I do not enjoy the assignment, I am just stating fact to further postpone the part where I actually get some work done, and possibly take up a few more of those crucial words to fulfill a certain obligation...


Welcome to the introduction. This blog, as stated numerous times before is going to be about topics discussed in English 436: Major Critical Theories. On these sacred pages of cyberspace I will be presenting the anonymous masses, with my interpretation on the theories discussed in class. I have to say that my knowledge and education on theory is not my strength. I have limited knowledge in a few of the theories that are listed on the syllabus although there is the possibility that I know the theories we will be discussing and I have just mislabeled them in the file cabinet of my mind.

When discussing what our theory on theory was on the first class meeting I could only say that I didn't have a theory on theories. I just liked to read. After reading the selections from Plato's “The Republic” and Gorgias's “Encomium of Helen”, I came to the conclusion that I might not know where I am regarding my understanding of the texts and that it might be important to try to understand. I will continue on the actual content of the class in the next post.

I am really going to put forth the effort to continually write in this blog in the attempts to vocalize what I think I interpret from the readings in the hope that my thoughts will be validated or refuted by someone other than myself. With the slight veil of anonymity that the internet provides, I am hoping that I will be more comfortable voicing my opinion without the awkward feeling of embarrassment when an entire classroom's eyes are bearing down on me.

I am a major in creative writing, so I sometimes stray from a formalized structure and I will attempt to keep a more professional relationship with whoever happens to read whatever is published here.

While theory is not my strength, I am hoping to gain a better understanding of it in order to improve my abilities to write, read, and interpret the many forms of literature that will pass through my life. I am encouraging anyone who wonders upon this page and takes the team to read whatever I post engage my theories on theory with active participation in some way, whether through comment, email, or even face to face communication.

Stay tuned here for the wild adventures of your dear blog author and the deep, dark world of literary theory. Maybe by the end of the semester, he can finally say loudly and proudly that he has a theory on theories.

No comments:

Post a Comment