Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Discussing the Discussion Group

I was part of the group that instigated a discussion about Longinus and The Sublime during class on February 15th. When we first began to plan for the discussion we were a little torn on how to go about presenting the material, but settled on the loose idea of pulling up Youtube or movie clips that dealt with the sublime.

My contribution to the discussion was to pull up clips of what I though was sublime in the world of sports. This was mostly due to the fact that when I think of sublime, the first thing that came to mind was the feeling that ran through my body during the USA v. Algeria game of the last World Cup. I immediately went home and began pulling up clips of the game and reactions from fans. I also compiled a long list of other possibly examples of sublime in sports, mostly focusing on unlikely wins or unimaginable comebacks.

In the discussion we showed the clips and then proceeded to ask the class what they thought was sublime about any of the clips shown, or, what wasn't. We attempted mainly to present our own ideas of the sublime and see how the class reacted or thought to the examples.

I can't really say that we conclusively figured out what the sublime is, but there seemed to be a general consensus that it is subjective, and that if anything that is considered sublime is analyzed deeply, it would fail to fulfill Longinus's qualifications.

No comments:

Post a Comment